It is a city crowned by its moot characterictics symbol: a castle of arabic origin. The primitive town centre was at the foot of the fortress and its population has grown around it. After the christian conquest its Lords were of illustrious lineage "los Manuel, Aragón y Pacheco". For many centuries it was the capital of a large earldom which had great-influence on the national history.
Typical dishes: gazpacho villenero, relleno, triguico, arroz y pata, gachamiga, embutido.
Patisserie: sequillos, rollicos de vino, almendrados, toñas.
- Castillo de la Atalaya
- Iglesia Arciprestral de Santiago
- Palacio Municipal
- Plaza Mayor
- Iglesia de Santa María
- Teatro Chapí
- Plaza de las Malvas
- Santuario de Nuestra Señora de las Virtudes
- San Isidro. In May, in the neighbouring community La Zafra.
- San Juan. In La Encina, in June.
- Moros y Cristianos. From 4th to 9th September in honour of Nuestra
Señora de las Virtudes.